Pass it On

Pass it On
Share the Love

1.15.2013

Homemade Play Dough Fun!!

I have a very active and artistic toddler.
While pondering what I would do for her birthday party, I came across a great recipe for homemade play dough.
Since she had mentioned it already so, I decided it was a fun idea to have a play dough party
I pulled out all of our play dough toys and made 4 double batches of bright colored play dough.
The kids loved it and my little one was delighted to have chosen her party theme. We sent some cookie cutters and play dough home with her friends as favors. It was a great activity!

Lately, we have been looking for projects to do inside while it is very cold outdoors.
I decided that it was a great time to introduce my daughter to the process of making the play dough as well as playing with it.

She loves the activity!
Helping is one of her strong points, so for her helping to make the play dough was a dream come true. We made six colors which will last us for months to come.

Homemade Play Dough

1/2 c flour
1/4 c salt
1/2 c water
1/2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
food coloring

Mix all ingredients except the food color in a medium saucepan.
Cook over very low heat until the mixture turns into a dough (it will only take a few minutes).
Knead the dough on a floured surface until it is cool enough for children to handle.
Separate the dough for as many colors as you wish to make.
Put a few drops of color into each ball and knead until the color is even.

I usually use this recipe to make one color.
I doubled the recipe for the birthday party, and made four doubled batches for four colors.
It lasts in the refrigerator for months.
I store each color in its own bag.
Our batch from the birthday party lasted 5 months!






Have fun!

No comments: